Skip Navigation
Town of Deep River Home
This table is used for column layout.
Frequently Asked Questions
How is the value of my Motor Vehicle determined?
Standard price guidelines (NADA) are used to determine the average retail value of your motor vehicles.

What if I think my assessment is not accurate?
You have the right to appeal to the Board of Assessment Appeals. The Board meets to review and adjust tax assessments during the months of March (for all types of properties) and September (for Motor Vehicles appearing on the October 1st grand list). Applications must be filed for the March session between February 1st & 20th. No appointment is necessary for the September session. Board of Assessment Appeals Application  Be sure to bring the proper documentation to your meeting with the Board of Assessment Appeals. Requirement for Personal Property Appeal

Why do I still get a bill when I no longer own my vehicle?
If you owned a vehicle as of October 1st, you are responsible for the following July bill. If you disposed of the vehicle after October 1st, you may receive a credit or refund if you provide proof to the assessor.


1) PLATE RECEIPT from DMV indicating that registration has been CANCELLED.
  • A copy of the bill of sale (located at bottom of registration form)
  • A copy of the Transfer of Title (signed)
  • Out of State registration (date the vehicle was registered outside the State of Connecticut);
  • Stolen vehicle: a statement from insurance company indicating that the vehicle was stolen and NOT RECOVERED
  • Totaled vehicle: a statement from the insurance company indicating that the vehicle was totaled;
  • Junked vehicle: a notarized receipt from junk yard
  • Trade-in vehicle: a copy of purchase agreement identifying the trade-in vehicle and a plate receipt.
NOTE: All information must be DATED and have the VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION NUMBER on it. For more information call the assessor's office.

If I no longer reside in the state, why am I getting a bill?
If you were on the Grand List as of Oct. 1st, you received a bill. As soon as you register your vehicle in another state, send a copy of your registration to the Tax assessor; your bill will be prorated.

Are there any breaks for Senior Citizens?
If you or your spouse are over 65 or disabled and you live in your own home, you may be eligible for a tax credit which could reduce your tax bill subject to income verification. For more information contact the Assessor's Office at 526-6029. If you rent, you may be eligible for rent reimbursement. To find out current income/eligibility requirements, contact the Assessor's Office at 526-6029.

Could I qualify for any exemptions?
The following are exemptions available in the Town of Deep River:

For more information, contact the Assessors office at 860-526-6029, or by email

Deep River Town Hall • 174 Main Street • Deep River, CT 06417

Phone (860) 526-6020 • Fax (860) 526-6023 • email